Monday, April 13, 2009

Veneer = Fake, Guest blogger: Superpurple Girl JUNE




Veneer - cheap wood that is covered with a thin layer of better wood
so as to make it appear that is entire piece is made of the better
grade wood.

I remember learning about veneer and being intrigued, seeing tables
and other pieces of furniture, always looking for the signs that would
expose it as a veneer, the fake or impostor that it was.

Yesterday, as I listed pieces of furniture we are selling, I felt that
same sense of mystery as I wrote the word again. Of the few veneer
pieces I included, Paul said "Don't even bother with those, they're
junk."

This morning, I saw it again:

Now Jesus turned to address his disciples, along with the crowd that
had gathered with them. "The religion scholars and Pharisees are
competent teachers in God's Law. You won't go wrong in following their
teachings on Moses. But be careful about following them. They talk a
good line, but they don't live it. They don't take it into their
hearts and live it out in their behavior. It's all spit-and-polish
veneer." Matthew 1-3

It goes on to describe their detestable behavior as frauds and the
hopelessness - or woe - they incite. All their teachings and efforts
to impress are in vain! Their hearts and minds are set on making
themselves look good, not God. Jesus really lays into them for this,
too. And rightly so! They are the leaders, the teachers. But they
are fakes, not living what they preach.

So, again, I feel a sense of wonder and truth. I want to be solid,
through and through! Real and living - outwardly and inwardly - the
truth I believe and share with others. If I'm in a scrape or bumped
around or dinged like a piece of furniture, I don't want cheap fake
insides to be exposed - I want to be found solid through and through!

So, Lord, create in me a pure heart, renew a right Spirit within me.
I need this daily. For I know, God, it is only by Your power and
Spirit that I am fully restored and cleansed. I want to be solid for
You, God, standing firm in Your Truth and sharing the Good News of
your Kingdom for Your Glory!!

No comments: